Common Signs of Poor Gut Health
Concerning symptoms, like stomach pain, frequent diarrhea, or unintentional weight loss, can be more than a simple inconvenience. Should you notice persistent indications of poor GI health, you could be afflicted with a concerning gastrointestinal problem. Don’t ignore the signs of poor GI health. If you experience symptoms that are odd, like a fluctuation in bowel habits or cravings for certain foods, discuss it with an expert GI specialist in Hinsdale, IL. By partnering with a physician at GI Alliance of Illinois, you can understand any conditions involving your digestive system and determine how to enhance your overall well-being.
What are common symptoms of an unhealthy gut?
It's common to get the occasional belly ache or experience an episode of heartburn every now and then. Persistent problems with digestive symptoms can indicate that something is amiss with your digestive health. Should you experience any of these signs or symptoms persistently, it might indicate an unhealthy gut:
- Stomach discomfort: Ongoing constipation, bloating, or gas might indicate that your body is having problems processing food and getting rid of waste products.
- Autoimmune conditions: Imbalanced gastrointestinal bacteria can trigger issues with autoimmune disorders.
- Fatigue: Experiencing exhaustion on a consistent basis could be due to an issue with nutritional absorption in your GI tract.
- Skin allergies/irritations: Inflammatory skin issues, like psoriasis, acne, and eczema, have been connected to gastrointestinal health.
- Food cravings: Yearnings for foods, like sugar, could be an indication of an imbalance in GI bacteria or nutritional deficiency.
- Migraines: Bad headaches can signal that something is amiss in GI tract, especially if nausea and vomiting also occur.
- Mood fluctuations: Anxiety and depression may be a result of poor gastrointestinal health.
- Unplanned weight changes: An inexplicable, sudden drop or gain in weight may mean your body is struggling to expel waste, absorb nutrients, or store fat.
- Changes in stool: If there has been a change in the color or consistency of your stool, like if you experience diarrhea or pale stools, then it might be time to consult a medical provider.
Should you experience any of the symptoms mentioned here, or any other symptoms of concern, like persistent acid reflux or bloody stools, please schedule a consultation with one of our gastrointestinal specialists in Hinsdale, IL to have your gastrointestinal health evaluated.
What diseases or conditions can result in an unhealthy gut?
The symptoms you experience may point to a concerning GI tract disease or condition. A few of the conditions that can result in the symptoms outlined above include:
- Celiac disease: The manner in which the body's immune system reacts to gluten causes harm to the small intestine.
- Cancer: Gastrointestinal cancers, such as colon or rectal cancer and stomach cancer, can result in major issues in the digestive tract.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): Conditions like ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease lead to inflammation in the digestive tract.
How can I improve my gastrointestinal health?
Even though it is important to incorporate a healthy lifestyle, you should still talk with a physician if you are having issues pointing to poor GI health. A GI Alliance of Illinois specialist will be able to determine if a more significant problem needs to be evaluated or if any lifestyle modifications might help you boost your gastrointestinal health. Several of the following actions might be suggested by your doctor:
- Add probiotics to your diet
- Monitor for food intolerances
- Quit using tobacco products
- Exercise regularly
- Get 7 – 8 hours of sleep each night
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat more fiber
- Find care for poor gut health in Hinsdale, IL
Should you notice signs or symptoms of poor gut health, it might indicate an underlying condition. Please don't ignore the signals your body is sending you through stomach upset, food cravings, and unintentional changes in your weight. To best understand and detect any GI conditions, you can consult a GI doctor in Hinsdale, IL. To locate an experienced gastroenterologist near you, call GI Alliance of Illinois. By partnering with our team, you can expect patient-centered care to help you manage and improve your gastrointestinal health which, in turn, could help you enjoy a greater quality of life.