How to Keep Your Gut Healthy All Summer Long
Sweet summertime is heading our direction which, for many us, translates to fun in the sun and treasured vacation time. In advance of loading up on the SPF or setting sail to embark upon your next grand adventure, don't lose sight of how important it is to sustain helpful habits that can amplify your gut health. With temperatures and exhaustion on the rise, your intestinal health can take a serious beating over the summer. At GI Alliance of Illinois, our gastrointerologists have set our goal to offer you the care and education you need in order to maintain a digestive system in optimal health. Reapply your suncreen and turn the proverbial page as our Chicago, IL team explains how to maintain your gut health over the summer.
What is it about summer that is hard on gut health?
The summer months are known to be brutal on your gut health, causing a healthy gut to struggle and making any pre-existing gastrointestinal problems worse. Some of the main factors that can open the door to poor gut health and problematic GI symptoms, like constipation, diarrhea, vomiting and nausea, include:
- Dehydration: Higher temperatures translate to your body consuming fluids to stay cool at a faster rate, and you might be failing to remain up to speed with replenishing used fluids.
- Inconsistent eating habits: In the event that you are traveling or indulging in summer treats, it can prove difficult to plan ahead for a nutritious meal.
- Exhaustion: Summer past-times may leave you with a shortage of energy, which in turn, impacts your digestive health.
If you suffer from a pre-existing GI problem, monitoring your summer months carefully can mean the difference between summer months spent in healthy enjoyment and a summer spent in complete discomfort. To get additional information regarding ways you can manage your individual GI condition, contact any one of our expert gastrointestinal doctors in Chicago, IL.
How does one maintain digestive health during the summer?
With some thoughtful planning, you can maintain a healthy digestive system over the summer. Revel in your vacations or relaxing beach days, comfortable in the knowledge that you’re taking precautions to make certain your gut also has a relaxing time. A few of the primary practices you can use to ensure your summertime health include:
- Drink water: Stay hydrated, especially if you’re spending time in the sun and sweating a lot. Dehydration might be the cause of constipation, amidst additional concerning digestive woes.
- Eat fiber-rich foods: Add some dark green veggies and add a few scrumptious summer fruit to your diet to keep up your fiber intake, which assists digestion.
- Try probiotics: Your digestive system contains a precise balance of helpful bacteria. One way you can assist your gut health is by supporting those beneficial bacteria with probiotic foods and supplements.
- Meal plan for your health: All of those summer goodies like barbeque, soda, and ice cream may be fun in moderation, but be sure to arrange ahead of time for nutritious evening meals to avoid forcing your gut into overdrive.
- Get a reasonable amount exercise: Stay aware of any extreme humidity or heat watches, but a casual jog around your the neighborhood/area before the sun is high is a fabulous way to enusre your gut stays active.
When should you consult with a doctor regarding digestive health?
If you have to deal with any of the following symptoms consistently during your summer bash, it is time to seek a GI Alliance of Illinois doctor to identify and treat the cause as soon as possible:
- Abdominal pain
- Persistent diarrhea
- Difficulty passing stool
- Persistent heartburn
If you see blood in your stool, seek a GI doctor in Chicago, IL without hesitation.
Sustain a healthy summer digestive system
The summertime months can push your gut to work harder to keep your body healthy and in gear. Take good care of your gut throughout the summer break, and make sure to practice healthy habits that will keep you partying strong until the end of August. Should you need advice or professional care to effectively manage a gastrointestinal problem over the summer, don’t delay in visiting our office to connect with a GI doctor in Chicago, IL. Our physician-led network of GI doctors is devoted to providing patient-centric treatment to individuals just like you. Reach out to GI Alliance of Illinois at your earliest convenience to learn more.