Gallbladder Disease in Illinois
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
A person's gallbladder is an organ in the body that holds and releases bile to help with the breakdown of foods during digestion. The term gallbladder disease is pertaining to a variety of issues and conditions that have a negative impact on the gallbladder. These conditions involve:
- Cholecystitis: An inflammation of the gallbladder that is commonly the result of gallstones. Over time, the gallbladder can decrease in size and lose the capacity to secrete bile.
- Biliary dyskinesia: Lower than normal gallbladder function
- Gallstones: Solid stone-like particles that can block the path to the gallbladder and bile ducts.
- Choledocholithiasis: A situation where a gallstone is caught in the exit route of the gallbladder. In the event this occurs, the gallbladder can become inflamed.
- Acalculous gallbladder disease: When the gallbladder becomes inflamed without the presence of gallstones.
- Sclerosing cholangitis: Persistent inflammation and damage to the bile duct system that leads to the formation of scar tissue.
If you have a gallbladder issue such as any of the conditions mentioned above, we encourage you to have a skilled gastroenterology provider guide you through your treatment. At GI Alliance of Illinois, our team can deliver the guidance you require. To learn more about care for gallbladder disease, please contact our Chicago, IL, Peoria, IL, or Normal, IL, locations to request an appointment.
What are the causes of gallbladder disease?
A majority of gallbladder problems occur due to the development of gallstones, which develop when cholesterol and other types of materials located in liver bile clot and create stones. There might also be tumors that prevent the bile from emptying normally, an infection, or blood vessel issues. Regardless of the cause of gallbladder disease, you can get specialized treatment at a GI Alliance of Illinois location in Chicago, IL, Peoria, IL, or Normal, IL. Our team can assess your gallbladder issue and help you identify the optimal option for care.
What are the signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease?
Some of the signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease can involve:
- Pain that spreads to your back or right shoulder
- Intense abdominal discomfort, especially in the center or upper right abdomen
- Tenderness in the abdomen
If you have any of the digestive symptoms mentioned above, connect with a GI Alliance of Illinois gastroenterologist today to request an appointment.
What are the treatments for gallbladder disease?
The ideal approach to decrease the risk of gallstones is to sustain a normal weight, drop weight gradually if advised, and follow a healthy way of life. Some gallbladder diseases can be detected through a simple ultrasound. In some cases, your practitioner might suggest further images like an MRI or CT scan. If treatment for gallbladder disease is necessary, treatment options may involve:
- Fasting for a certain time period (this can allow an inflamed gallbladder to rest and minimize inflammation)
- Pain relief medication
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Medications to help dissolve gallstones
If you or a loved one need treatment for gallbladder disease in Illinois, our skilled team can help you explore your options.
Trusted care for gallbladder disease
Gallbladder problems, like gallstones, cholecystitis, and biliary dyskinesia, can be detected and addressed by an experienced digestive health provider at GI Alliance of Illinois. If you experience concerning symptoms involving your GI tract, then it is essential for you to partner with a GI physician in your area as soon as you can so that you can be evaluated for concerns like gallbladder disease. As a physician-led group of gastroenterology specialists, our practice is well-equipped with the latest treatment solutions for those experiencing gallbladder disease. To partner with an expert gastroenterologist who offers care for gallbladder disease in Illinois, request an appointment today.
Dr. Holloway staff is very professional courteous. I felt very comfortable throughout the entire experience. Thank you.
Very professional. Good experience.
Great communication with his team and myself which put me at ease for a painless procedure. Just wonderfu!l!. I would highly recommend anyone to seek treatment,at this medical facility. Thank you Dr. Gluskin!!
Rhonda Woodbury took much time to qualify my concerns.
Dr. L. Is our family's goto M.D. for colo surgery.